Sunday, May 30, 2010

Iva Leigh Swing Dress

I had a hard time with this little dress. I started working on it during Kid's Clothes Week, but there weren't very many pictures in the pattern, so I had a hard time. I put the call out for help, and my Aunt Carolyn called me on Skype to walk through part of it. I put in about 20 minutes sewing every morning this past week, and I managed to finish it this weekend!

The pattern is the Iva Leigh dress by Bonnie Blue, and I made a six months dress. It seems to fit Zerah pretty good right now. She should be able to wear it throughout the summer. I bought the fabric from Joanne's; it is a swiss dot-white with little pink polka dots. It is fully lined with white Kona cotton. I also hand stitched the binding around the armholes, which was a first for me. I am generally in favor of machine sewing it on because I just want to finish quickly, but I took the time to tack it down by hand which really does look nicer.

I have started another one, and I am going to take pictures of the process so I remember how to put it together the next time I make it. I did iron it, but it appears a little wrinkled!


The skirt is really full, and it would be a great twirly dress for a little girl who is a little older. I did get to use my ruffler on the bottom which was fun. I also like the little buttons all the way down the back of the dress.

This makes my final finish for Jacquie's Spring to Finish Challenge. Here was my original list:
Barcelona Skirt for me-finished!
Sewconnected 2 blocks for Rita-finished!
Two Oliver + S 2+2 Tunics-finished
2 Swing Tops for Zerah-finished
2 Dresses for Zerah-finished one
Gingham Pants-finished
Spring Quilted Tablerunner-top pieced
9 Patch Quilt Top-squares finished

I added my postage stamp quilt, and it now has a pieced back and it is basted. I am still ripping out stitches. I can only deal with about an hour of this at a time. I have a total of eight finishes!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. The weather is beautiful here in the 70's, and we just got back from a 3 mile walk to the park where we had a picnic with cold fried chicken, pasta salad, and grapes. It was so nice to just be outside.

2 comments:

Stephanie D said...

That is so cute! I remember swiss dot fabric--I think my mother made my little sister a top and pants from that when she was little. Mother was a good seamstress and made quite a few tops and pedal pushers and dresses when we were young. She made my wedding dress (a simple knee-length A-line), and made my little sister a matching one in my colors of green and blue.

But she didn't really stay up to date with patterns, and my sister was disappointed in a formal dress Mother made her for a teen pageant. I think that was the last time Mother made her anything.

Sherry said...

What accomplishments you've been able to "check off"! Wow!