Monday, April 13, 2009

Black, white, and yellow Squares Askew Baby Quilt

Over the past weekend, I was able to finish another baby quilt. One of my goals this year is to create a quilt with black, white, and one other color. I found this great black and white fabric at a local quilt shop and added a shot of yellow to the mix. I have heard that babies can only see black and white when they are first born so this seems perfect for a newborn.
A while ago, my blog friend Amy at ParkCityGirl created her own pattern using squares within squares. She was kind enough to send me the pattern that she created so I could create my own! Thanks Amy! The only thing that I changed was shaving off an inch on all sides so that I could use a single piece of 44" wide material for the backing.

I found the perfect piece of black, white and yellow fabric for the backing, too. I love this print. It doesn't fit what I normally think of for a baby quilt, and I think that is why I love it so much.:)

10 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

Love both of these baby quilts - both are very, very pretty and striking! Happy belated Easter
Kris

Dionne said...

Wonderful! I love it, and I think it makes a really fun baby quilt! You are really on a roll.

Cheers,
Dionne

Unknown said...

WOW it's so amazing to see my vision in someone else's work! Your quilt looks great - I love the b/w yellow combo :)

isolada. by design said...

Oh, awesome! Like you, I'm really, really lovin' it because it's not the typical baby quilt, the pastel blue, pink, green and yellow. No, this yellow sings sunshine and bright days. Black and white coordinates well with any decor, too, through time. And could that fabric for the back be any more perfect to compliment your wonderful blocks on the front? Very cool!

Sherry said...

This is a fantastic looking baby quilt. I, too, just love the combinations of B & W and yellow. The B & W just makes the yellow pop! I like the unusual, non-traditional surprise of colors for babies, too. I saw a burp cloth a while back in a gift shop that I'm going to do that is from a white diaper and is trimmed in B & W ribbon with the Got Milk? sewn on it. Isn't that cute? And wouldn't it be cute with a Black, White and YELLOW ribbon trim?!? You've, once again, inspired me and got my creative juices flowing! thanks!

MamaB said...

Love this quilt, you have aways liked yellow. Also like the block in a block square.

B. said...

It's amazing! Is it 44x44? What a striking quilt.

em's scrapbag said...

I really like the yellow with the back and white. You did a great job!

Karen said...

Audrey, you have a great eye for color. What a nice quilt!

Anonymous said...

Awesome baby quilt.