Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Quilt Festival 2009

Here is my entry for ParkCityGirl's Quilt Festival:


I couldn't resist entering Amy's quilt show! These two quilts I completed last summer and you can find the full details for the quilt above and below here. I had a lot of fun with my Fresh Squeezed quilt. It is a disappearing nine patch and is lap quilt size. I used four charm packs of Moda's Fresh Squeezed line of fabrics. I love how summery it is and cheerful.
I went wild with the backing and used up all my leftover pieces of fabric and leftover quilt blocks. I pieced it together as I went without a lot of preplanning which was very liberating and quite fun! I did have a couple creases or wrinkles that were quilted over on the back but I still love it. It is amazing to see how much I have learned over the past year and how much easier it is to do some things that seemed so hard at the time.

This is the very first "real" quilt that I completed so I had to include it. This is my Nickel Dog Quilt using Strawberry Lemonade fabrics from Moda. I love all the dogs and the happy, bright fabric. This was a baby gift for my niece who was born last May. Now I wish I had stippled in the green border, but that seemed so difficult at the time.

25 comments:

Zonnah said...

I love the dog quilt...so cute!

Linda Zimmerman said...

These quilts are great! The orange was such a surprise, orange isn't used much and it is so summery and refreshing. The dog quilt is adorable, again great colors!

Anonymous said...

I love both of these quilts! You definitely did a great job picking your colors! Just fantastic!

Gari in AL said...

I love your D9P. I have done two but both had the same blocks. I like the different colored blocks as it really hides the similarities. I have to try that.

Carol said...

Both quilts are so bright and happy. Loved seeing another creative back to a quilt.

Dionne said...

Both of those quilts are lovely! I remember how much I loved your D9P, and it looks just as fabulous now. It's so fresh!
Cheers,
Dionne

Coloradolady said...

Beautiful quilts..but that dog quilt is just darling. Love it.

Jocelyn said...

Oh how cute! I love your doggie quilt. Both are great!

Andi said...

Gorgeous quilts.
Love your work!!!

Quilt Rat said...

Bright, cheerful and simply delicious!

Scrappy quilter said...

I never liked orange before, however having seen yours and a few others, I just might start using oranges. Great quilt.

QuiltedSimple said...

Oh I love your quilts - so bright and cheerful!!! I'm loving orange more and more lately....
Kris

Stephanie D said...

Mmmmm--that first one looks good enough to eat! Love the orange!

And what a cute dog quilt! Glad you decided to join in!

Nat Palaskas said...

I love orange quilt and the backing too. Weldone - notjustnat

isolada. by design said...

Oh how fun for you, entering the Quilt Festival. And I love the idea of a virtual quilt show. How cool is that? Congrats to Park City Girl for a most excellent idea! With a little time I must check out more of the participants.

In the meantime, I love your entries! The fabrics and patterns are delicious. That doggie quilt is perfectly sweet for your niece, something she'll enjoy and treasure as she gets a little older.

I really like the pieced backs you have been showing us. Makes the quilt interesting, top or down!

Awesome!

Paula, the quilter said...

The Fresh Squeezed is great. A D9P is a wonderfully versatile pattern, isn't it?

Sherry said...

I'm so happy to see you entering a quilt show! That will be fun. I remember when you were working on both these quilts. Boy, does time fly! It doesn't seem like your niece should be a year old soon, does it? And just think of all that you've done, quilt-wise, since then, too. Keep us posted on the status of the quilt show. I just love that orange, too. And the doggie quilt. They're both just so cute you just can hardly stand it!!!

Sherry said...

oops, your niece will be two, won't she?!?

Nat said...

I LOVE the quilts (even though I don't understand anything about them, but I also love that Gigi's picture made a reappearance in this entry!

Unknown said...

I love both of these - I hadn't seen either of them! The fabrics are so fun - love your improv backing, looks so fun :)

amy smart said...

I love those disappearing 9-patch quilts. And that fabric line was so vibrant. Perfect!

That back is awesome!!

stitchinpenny said...

Hi - Your aunt showed me your entry earlier today and I love your quilts. I have been slowly working my way through the quilts while trying to finish a quilt and a dress for a niece's birthday. I was happy to reach your entry today and be able to tell you how much i like your quilts.

jacquie said...

i remember these quilts! lovely, lovely, lovely!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Both of these are so cheery and happy. Love them both, and cool back on Fresh Squeezed!

Karen said...

Audrey, what great quilts! Thanks for sharing :)