Thursday, July 9, 2009

Baby's Room


My mom recently came to visit for a week-she left this past Tuesday- to help get the babies room together. Before she came, the crib looked like the picture above, and by the time she left, it was transformed into the picture below. The crib was a present from my mother-in-law, isn't it great?


My husband's grandmother pieced the quilt above the bed and it was our wedding gift from her six years ago. My mom and I went to the thrift store and purchased two bedskirts for $2.99 each and ripped and sewed them back together to make a bedskirt.

This white dresser was also picked up at a thriftstore about 3 years ago. It has since had legs added to it by my husband-previously it sat on the floor about 4 inches lower. He also added a rim around the top that holds the changing pad in place. It received a fresh coat of white paint and a little decorative painting along the top drawer.


Using leftover fabric from one of the bedskirts, we made a little pillow (that will eventually end up in a chair) and I learned how to make piping.


I already had these curtains but these were hemmed and blue tiebacks were added from leftover bedskirt material.

Everything is slowly coming together for a late September little girl! Thanks Mom for helping out so much and coming to see us!

We also made some little dresses- pictures coming soon!

15 comments:

isolada. by design said...

Oh my! Your little girl's room is so beautiful...bright, cozy, colorful and come together from the hands of love. She will be so excited!

The quilt your husband's grandmother made is gorgeous and how sweet it sits above the crib. And one of yours hanging on the crib? Well, so we come full circle, don't we?

I love it! It's so good your mom spent this time with you in preparing to receive your child. So many memories already handmade. :)

Peace out and a continued fantastic summer!

Andi said...

You are most definitely nesting.
And doing a beautiful job too!!!
Enjoy.
Andi :-)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

LOVE that star quilt! what a lucky babe to look at that everyday! So many lovey ideas. isn't that so fun!!

SewAmy said...

omg, and wow. you guys did so much and it looks so cute/good. Love the quilt hanging hehind the crib. Love all of it.

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

Gosh, Audrey, I've been FBing too long! Forgot my blogging password and then somehow typed it in my comment and had to remove comment! ugh! Anyway, I wanted to say how much I love your nursery and how I know you and your mom had so much fun putting it together, sewing and creating together. I love your bright colors. Can't wait to see this lucky little girl!

Unknown said...

I loved nesting with each of my babies! Your little girls room is so cute! Love all the special little touches you and your mom added :)

Stephanie D said...

Oh, that "ribbon" across the front of the changing table/dresser is soooo cute! What a pretty room this is getting to be!

Can't wait to see the little dresses! And how nice that your mom could come help you out for a while.

shellysquilts said...

Your baby's room looks wonderful. Good luck in September.

Nat said...

It is beautiful, Audrey. You are lucky that you and your mom are so creative. There is no way that I could do any of that! Miss you!

Karen said...

Yay for moms. What a nice, cheery room for your little one. Did you paint all those little patterns on the dresser drawer???

Tamara Lund D.C. said...

Great Job! I especially love that quilt above her bed. It will be so stimulating for little mind. My Mom helped me nest what great memories! Prayers for September.

QuiltedSimple said...

How lovely! The babies room is so divne - and how great that your Mom was able to come and help you prepare! Love, love, love it all.
Kris

Anonymous said...

the room looks lovely! my baby's room is painted but that's all there is. my excuse is that this is the second baby so we know that the baby's going to end up sleeping with us anyway ;p

Ritapizza said...

wow! so much handmade goodness with such love! everything is beautiful and so perfect for a little girl :)