Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sewconnected2: February

I just finished my block for Doris for the sewconnected2 bee! She wanted houses and sent the green background fabric. I had fun figuring out what to place in the windows, and I had to add the garage for some bicycle fabric I had. It is fun using up scraps from old projects, too. The roof is from Zerah's Jackson shorts, and the yellow print is from the hourglass quilt I made last summer. It is neat seeing little pieces of old friends show up in new pieces that will then be sent off to make a brand new quilt for someone else.

My mom is in town, and we have been looking at patterns and making some cute clothes. We need to get buttons and piping and snap tape to finish two things off, but pictures will show up soon! Now, I need to go to the post office to send it in the mail!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Jackson Shirt and Shorts

I ventured away from dresses for a little six month top and shorts. This is the Jackson pattern from Children's Corner and the fabric is from Joanne's. I used leftover fabric from making all of these Frannie dresses. This pattern was all about firsts for me: first sleeves, first pants, first elastic, first french seams and first pleats.
It about drove me crazy. I have had this top and bottom on my desk for about a month now. I cut it all out and then couldn't figure out the pleats. It was all my fault for not reading the pattern correctly. I became so used to cutting everything on the fold that I cut the back on the fold, twice because the pattern said to cut out two, and then I couldn't figure out how it ended up with a split down the back and buttons. So I put it aside, made some dresses, and then realized my mistake. I went back and cut the back in half, figured it out and then progressed on to the front.

Pleats! I played around and finally got this portion right. At least, I think it is right, and it seems to look correct. :)

The next dilemma was sleeves. I completely read the wrong instructions for the straight sleeves instead of the puffed sleeves and ended up with a gather at the top, instead of all the way around. By the time I realized this, the sleeves were all the way sewn on and I was not ripping it all out. I decided I liked the way it came out, so it was a happy mistake.
After that, everything else went together pretty quickly. I love the way the french seams look on the inside, and I liked finished off the sleeve seams with zig zag stitches. That is pretty neat. The pants went together so quickly, and I made the smaller around the waist since Zerah has a small waist.

Overall, I am happy with the way it came out, and now I know how to do all these different things. The next one will go together much more quickly, and I do plan on trying it again. Although, it did test my patience.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Holly and Hunter Jumper: Purple Ribbon and Ric Rac

After making one of these dresses for Cloud, I had to make one for Zerah, too. This is the Bonnie Blue Holly and Hunter Jumper with ribbon ties. It is an 18 month for next summer, and I bought the fabric at Joanne's. I love that fabric with the ribbons and ric rack. It is lined with purple gingham which is one of my favorite things. Aren't little girls so cute in gingham?

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Madison Dress

I love the way this little dress came out! The pattern was Bonnie Blue's Madison. The yoke is Amy Butler from her Love line, and the skirt is Kaffe Fasset Lime Sprays from his spring 2009 line. I made an 18 month so it will fit Zerah next summer. This was a pretty easy pattern to make; the hardest part is the buttons on the back. The pattern has three other views that I am going to have to try. It is one of my favorite patterns that I have made so far, so expect to see more like this.

Isn't the back cute with the buttons all lined up? She is going to have plenty of dresses!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Apple and Pear Jumper

I tried a new pattern for this dress, and it was so easy! This is from Bonnie Blue's "Holly and Hunter's Jumper/Dress". I made the version with ribbon ties and I really like the bold white polka dots on the red ribbon. It is lined with red fabric with white pin dots, and the outer fabric is Alexander Henry. It is a size four. This is one of the quicker dresses that I have made recently. It went together in one evening after Zerah had gone to bed.

Edited to add: It was sent to Miss Cloud in New Orleans this past weekend. I heard that when she tried it on she said, "I feel like a princess." I love that!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Aubie Dresses

I received my first clothing commission to make these Aubie dresses for a friend of mine from college at Auburn, Jayne, for her girls. It was fun making these dresses for her, but it is more stressful when you are making them for someone else! I used the same tiger fabric that I have previously used and the "Lucy" pattern from Children's Corner. These are a size 6. I used orange lining fabric and orange and white polka-dot ribbon as well. I also top stitched around the dress in orange thread.

They went out in the mail yesterday, and I can't wait to see how her girls look in them! I think she is planning on using them for the A-day game in April. War Eagle!