Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hourglass Quilt: WIP


When I was in Birmingham last summer, I picked up this fabric in the hope of creating an hourglass quilt. Well, I returned home and started on it but got sidetracked into many other projects so it got put away for awhile. I am trying to finish up all my scattered works in progress and this is on its way to completion. I used this tutorial at crazymomquilts. I did not cut the block into fourths. I just cut it diagonally and then sewed my color triangle to the blue triangle and then cut it in half the other way. It created the same effect for me and I didn't have as much to sew!

It took awhile because I kept sewing the hourglass shapes going the wrong way so I spent some time with my seam ripper. I have a love/hate relationship with that seam ripper! I almost have all all of my rows sewn together horizontally; I just need to sew all those rows together for the middle section.

It is going to be approximately 10 5" blocks across and 15 5" blocks down. I then need to add a border. Since I don't have much fabric left, I will have to go purchase some more-darn. :) I am thinking orange polka dots for a 5" border all around. That might change when I get to the store!

8 comments:

Stephanie D said...

That will be bright and cheery--orange polka dots sounds like it'll go great!

isolada. by design said...

Oh, wow! I love it! The blue is fabulous. I like how you used it to work the other fabrics off of. Super cool!

Unknown said...

Orange polka dot will look great! if you end up with that :) Love the vibrant colors together - gorgeous!

Tacha said...

I definitely also have a love/ hate relationship with my seam ripper.

QuiltedSimple said...

Very pretty! Love the colors of it - great addition to look at with all this white out there.
Kris

Sherry said...

oooh,ooooh, ooooh, I hope you do get the orange polka dot! That would look fabulous! Girl, I'm glad I've got you "on file" for these tutorials whenever I get back in my sewing room. That sounds like a great shortcut after you get it down. And you know I love the orange/blue combination - know what that reminds me of, huh?!?

Ritapizza said...

It looks very cute so far! love the bright colors! OMG I'm totally cheering for the orange polkadot binding! it's gonna look amazing!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I made a couple of hourglass quilts and I found that it was easier to sew first and cut later. That is, I cut two squares of fabric. I drew a diagonal line on the back of one, then put the squares right sides together and sewed down and back 1/4" to either side of the drawn line. I cut on the line, pressed to the dark, and had two half square triangles. I drew the diagonal line on the back of one, placed them right sides together, snugging the seams up close, and sewed down and back 1/4" to either side of the drawn line. Cut on the line, press it open, and you have two hourglass blocks. You can then trim them to the exact size you want your blocks - it takes a little longer, but the accuracy makes it worth the effort.