Sunday, August 3, 2008

50 States Quilt Block Swap-Montana

I joined another quilt block swap over on Craftster a while back. The basic premise of this one is that there are 6 people in the swap and we each have 8 states. For each of our states, we make 6 blocks-we send 1 to each of the other 5 people in the swap and keep one for ourselves. At the end of the swap, we will each have a block for 48 of the 50 states.


My states are Colorado, Alabama, Kentucky, Washington, Montana, Oregon, Utah, and North Carolina.
The pattern for all of the block is the sawtooth star. We are using only two fabrics. The main focus fabric is supposed to be anything that represents the state such as the state flower, sports team, famous food from the state, etc.

For Montana I found this great center fabric! I love the pictures of the mountains and the animals. What made it even better, is that it is from the "Big Sky Country" line from SouthSeas Imports. "Big Sky Country" is a nickname for Montana. How perfect is that! The background fabric is Moose Lake from Exclusively Quilters Collection.

I have fabric for Colorado and Washington right now, but I am stuck on what to do for Oregon, North Carolina, and Utah. Suggestions I have heard so far are wagon wheels for Oregon due to the game Oregon Trail that I, for one, loved as a kid.

4 comments:

jacquie said...

the dogwood is nc state flower...of course a tarheel would be the best representation of the state...see my march post for more info.

John said...

Hey Audrey,

I can certainly help you out with the NC blocks! I would say that your block should focus on one of two things: college basketball, or something to do with the coast. As far as basketball goes, you could cover the big teams: UNC Tar Heels (light blue), Duke (royal blue), NC State (red), and Wake Forest (black and gold). Of course, my vote is with Jacquie -- go tar heels! (We are both alumni). Our local shops are teeming with team fabrics, so let me know if you want me to pick you up some. As far as the coast / beach goes, you could always do lighthouses (we have some beautiful ones here). Or sea turtles. In fact, I just picked up some adorable sea turtle FQ's at my shop the other day. Let me know how I can help!

Stephanie D said...

Hey, Audrey, I have some fabric left over from a project I made for last year's state fair. It's either Blue Ridge Mountains, or Smokey Mountains Park, or something like that. Here's the project I made, so you can see.
http://scrapsbystephanie.blogspot.com/2007/09/fair-entries.html

Would you like me to send you some? I have lots left over and it's been sitting on the shelf waiting for me to figure out what to do with it.

audreypawdrey said...

Hi Stephanie,
That fabric is beautiful! I sent you an email at your gmail account. It totally reminds me of the Smokey Mtns. What a neat idea for a quilt too!