I am making clothes for Zerah for her first birthday, and this past weekend I finished another owl inspired dress. I have been admiring applique recently, but I don't have an embroidery machine; my mom and my mother-in-law both do! So, I decided to try appliqueing an owl the old school way. I used some scraps from other dresses, my Anna Tunic (for his head-Zerah and I can match!), and some from my hourglass quilt. I fused the scraps on, and then zig-zagged around the owl. Although there are a few places where it isn't perfect, I am happy with my first applique experience!
I went a little crazy with the jumbo ric-rack, and I used my ruffler on the highest setting to make some serious ruffles. The ric-rack looks crooked here, but the wind was blowing the dress a little; it is straight!
This is the last owl dress that I will make her for this fall, but she may need one next fall, too!