Sunday, July 31, 2011

Decisions...


As I continue to work on my ABC quilt, I have come to a dilemma.  I am not sure if I want to add sashing between the letters or not.  I am at a standstill on making letters while I wait for some friends to send me a few other pieces and for fabric I ordered to arrive, so I thought I would go ahead and start adding the sashing between the letters for those that I have.


Once I did, I am not sure I like it this way.  I think the extra white may detract from the letters themselves, which is what I want to stand out.  Plus, it is 75" across without the sashing.  With the sashing at 2.5", it will be almost 90" wide and crazy long, which will be harder to quilt on my own machine.  Without the sashing, it will be 75" x 90", which is a good full size quilt.

Any opinions?

I have decided on how I am going to make the back, so I spent yesterday during nap time cutting around 40 2 1/4" x 5 3/4" blocks of some of my favorite fabrics.  I am really excited about the back!

14 comments:

Lynette said...

I would use black or charcoal if you do sashing - I'm with you, thinking the white competes with the letters.

Also, you could always go with a skinnier sashing. :)

isolada. by design said...

I think without the sashing works much better for an I Spy quilt. A lot of love and attention has certainly gone into this sweet quilt for your little girl! Look forward to seeing the back, too!

Kimie said...

Normally I'm all over sashing to break blocks with lots of fabric up, but I agree, this quilt works best without them, the background just looks rainbow and you really see the letters.

Katie B said...

Wow! That's a huge quilt! I think it's awesome without the Sashing.

John said...

I have to agree with the others -- I think the sashing is too close to the color & proportion of the letters, and it looks like a bunch of "I"s in between the other letters. I vote no sashing or, as others have suggested, a dark colored sashing. Looking great!!

Naomi Olson said...

These blocks want to go naked... save the sashing for another day. Follow your instincts, the sashing is messing with the letters... and even a thin one would detract from your amazing piecing. If you just HAVE TO add more... a single fabric border would be OK, but it doesn't need it in my opinion.

sonja said...

agreed! no sashing and let the eye play over the quilt to see the letters!
lovely work in prgress, as we all are!
sonja

Lydia Gillespie said...

My first thought was to say leave out the sashing so that the letters get the focus. If you want the sashing for size though, you might try piecing the sashing, maybe crazy strip-piecing using any scraps from the quilt. That would make it even more fun to play hide & seek with all the different items you've included. It would also keep the focus on the letters. No matter what you choose, this is a beautiful and unique quilt!

Anonymous said...

If I were going to add sashing, I'd make it in a different color from the letters. I love the letters!!

quirky granola girl said...

i'd skip the sashing. those letters look perfect without it.

Jessica said...

I vote for dark sashing, but my real question is.. how are you going to do "Q"?!? I'm piecing letters for a small project this week and Q is giving me such a headache! I've made it twice already, and I'm not really happy with either attempt.

Chris said...

Hi - just found your blog, love the alpha quilt! I agree with most who say - no sashing needed. And regarding quilting a large piece yourself, I have been watching Melody at fibermania adopting the quilt as you go technique of thequiltingedge . It is amazing and totally doable. Just a thought. Happy quilting!

Marie Ann said...

I see the C that I made!

I think a thin yellow sashing would be nice.

-- athenamat

Kari V. said...

It was nice meeting you today at the quilt guild! Thanks for the presentation on paper piecing. The alphabet quilt is wonderful. I think I agree with you that the sashing isn't needed.