Sunday, January 23, 2011

Daisy Chain Dress

It has been busy around here since Christmas!  I thought I would have more time to sew and more time to post on here, but it just hasn't happened.  I worked on a dress for Zerah over the last couple of weeks that I just finished by sewing on the buttons this weekend.  My mother-in-law sent me this fabric and the pattern back in the fall, and I have been eagerly anticipating putting it together because I knew it would be cute.

The pattern is The CuppyCake dress by Pink Fig Patterns, and I made a 2 out of Amy Butler's Daisy Chain fabric.  The navy and white polka dot fabric is from Joannes.  This dress needs a lot of fabric.  It should be great for twirling, and I may cut it all up once she has worn it to make a quilt.  I do think the skirt would make a great table runner, and it will already be sewn.:)  I added a ribbon from my stash to the front bodice for that extra embellishment.  I think it works really well.



The back criss-crosses and has a shirred strip.  This was the first time I had used elastic thread in my bobbin, and I was really worried at first.  I shouldn't have been because it really wasn't that difficult.  It was really neat watching the fabric gather up once I steamed the elastic thread.  It just shrunk right up; it reminded me of using shrinky dinks and watching them shrink in the oven, so much fun.   

We have been cooking and cooking around here.  Last night I made this black bean chowder recipe, and it was so delicious!   I love soup in the winter and I need to find some really good recipes.  A soup night each week sounds perfect to me.

I also have been playing around on Pinterest.  It is a really neat way to bookmark recipes or projects that you would like to try later because it acts as a inspiration board with pictures that you pull from your favorite sites.  You have to request an invite right now, but mine only took a couple of days.  It is really neat; I am on there here if you want to look at all the soup recipes I have started collecting.:) 

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Audrey, I think I have that pattern! Your "rendition" is SO cute! I love it! Zerah must be the best dressed little girl in Colorado!!

Stephanie D said...

Such a cute little dress! I've never sewn with elastic thread, either.

I gave my daughter a cookbook for Christmas titled "New England Soup Factory Cookbook". She wanted a specialty cookbook and this one had great reviews. Before she went home, she made us Eggplant and Parmesan soup and has made more at home. You might want to look it over--it has unusual soups, but made from ordinary ingredients--nothing exotic.