Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Break in Pictures

We were lucky this Thanksgiving to have my in-laws come visit us for several days. We did a lot of cooking and some exploring. I didn't get pictures of everything, but here are a couple snapshots from our days.

This is the beginning of the Thanksgiving table. So far there is only turkey and rolls on the table!

I made my great-grandmother Zerah's dressing for the first time. Check out that nice golden top! I was quite proud of myself for this one.

Here we have butterbeans, broccoli casserole, two types of cranberry sauce and brownies. Not pictured is green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes.
This is the Thanksgiving turkey before it was cooked. It was so delicious!

On Friday, we went to the Garden of the Gods outside Colorado Springs.

It is so beautiful there! I love the red rocks against that blue sky.



Saturday we woke up to snow. On Friday night, we went to downtown Littleton to the lighting of the Christmas tree and SANTA. It was really neat. They light all the trees along the main street and slowly Santa rolls down the street in his sleigh. We ate at Merles which is a new restaurant downtown. We have eaten there three times in the past week and every single time they had delicious food. It is awesome to have a local eatery with good food that is reasonably priced that we can walk to. They were singing Christmas carols on the street and it started snowing-which may be the only time I have really liked the snow!:)

This is our lovely snow covered tree in the front yard.

We did do some shopping this weekend. I found several books I needed to buy. We went to Tattered Cover in LoDo (independent bookstore), an independent store in Manitou Springs, CO and the borders outlet at Castle Rock.


I also made turkey stew with the left over turkey bones. This is really good and it did not use any of the good turkey leftovers!

I hope you all had wonderful Thanksgiving weekends!

7 comments:

Sherry said...

aha! I was waiting for an updated post! ha! All the food looks delicious and the snow is just beautiful. You know we're so far south that we don't get very much snow and it's so exciting when we do. Everything closes down! Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving and thanks for sharing it with us.

isolada. by design said...

Oh, my my my! First, love your dishes, the beautiful greens and golds. And the food...my mouth's watering. The dressing looked perfect with that golden top and a beloved's recipe can't be beat! Bacon on the turkey? I'll have to tell hubby about that one. Definitely the meal you had mentioned and more!

Red rocks, blue sky, freshly, fallen snow...gorgeous. It's all so overwhelming!

We love being able to walk downtown and frequent a good eatery. Small blessings, aren't they? And books, too! A fabulous holiday. So good. Brings energy and light to the every day moments, to those of here fortunate to share with you, too. Love it! :)

P.S., I'd be curious as to some of your favorite reads as I'm always looking for a good book. Do you note them somewhere?

Kristen said...

Merry SITSmas
what awesome pictures of your city

Stephanie D said...

I'm not a big fan of snow either--except in pictures, maybe! And yours are gorgeous!

Glad you had such a nice weekend!

tara @ kidz said...

Hey one of my bff's lives in The Springs!

A merry Christmas to you!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love Garden of the Gods, we went there when we traveled in Colorado about 3 or 4 years ago and just loved that place and would like to go back sometime when it is a little cooler, it was quite warm that day.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

For the Love... said...

Love the dressing...but finding that "6-8lb fat hen" can be difficult...

Everything looks wonderful!