Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sausage Pinwheels

Here is another easy recipe for making the holidays a little easier. Plus, they are really tasty! We always had these Christmas morning when I was growing up. They are also really good as an appetizer for parties.

All you need is a roll of ground sausage and a can of crescent rolls.

Lay out your crescent rolls.

Smush those seams together. (Yes, I just made up a word!)

Spread your sausage out on the crescent roll.

Roll up the crescent roll long end to long end. Be careful that you don't let this happen!

You then have a log like this! I keep rolling it out so it is longer and thinner than it is when you first rolled it up.

I then roll it up in freezer paper and freeze overnight. It will make it easier to slice into pieces when it is frozen. When it is fresh, it is easy to smush but you can go ahead and slice it up.

Slice into pieces. Then bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes or until the sausage is brown and the crescent rolls are a golden brown.

I go ahead and make the roll and then slice it into pieces and freeze all the pieces in a gallon sized freezer bag separated by freezer paper. You can then cook all of the pieces at the same time or you can pull out only what you want to cook that morning. This way you can cook an individual meal or for mulitiple people.

We, as a family of four, would generally be able to eat the entire roll in the morning but this is snacking on these throughout the morning. One roll could easily feed 4-6 people without any sides or more if it is a side dish. They are really good.

On another note, a friend of my family just started a blog bearbearcreates. Her husband has been friends with my father since they were in high school. I am sure that they have very funny stories of my dad that I will not hear because they were quite the rascals when they were young. (I know that much!)

She is new to the blogging community so go on over and say hello. I know that she will appreciate it! She is making the cutest dresses for her granddaughter and some lovely paintings.

7 comments:

isolada. by design said...

Oh, yum! Another wonderful, easy recipe. Hubby would like this one for the sausage. Now I'm curious about what's on your Thanksgiving menu? I like to go a bit non-conformist and find different recipes with typical ingredients because it's just two of us. Uhm.

And I'll pop over to your friend's blog here in a jiffy!

P.S., And when I can make a star or flying geese where the points are nice and neat, I'll so want to do a quilt block swap! I've practiced a little, but need more. :)

Alexis said...

As my daughter would say, "Doolicious!"

Dionne said...

Ooooh yummy! Those look fabulous. Of course I'll have to make two roles one with meat and one without for my veggie daughter!

That's two new recipes for me!

SewAmy said...

yummy, thank you, I will make them Thanksgiving morning. My husband will be impressed.

Stephanie D said...

Oh, these look good! They'd go great with Ziploc Omelets on Thanksgiving morning! Thanks!

Amanda Jean said...

oh, those look great!

Nat said...

I am going to make these next week for Thanksgiving afternoon. My sister (the chef) will be so happy to see that her sister can actually cook if she wants to! Thanks for the recipe!