Thursday, October 23, 2008

Scrappy Disappearing Nine Patch Top is Finished

The top for my scrappy disappearing nine patch quilt is finally finished. This quilt fits a full bed and it contains 2,052 2.5" squares. The little black squares are 3/4" square to give you a size reference. Now I wish I had used completely different squares so I could call it my millenium quilt, but maybe next time.:) If there is a next time...


I love, love, love how scrappy it all is. It took me forever because I sewed the blocks together incorrectly so when I had long strips together I realized it wasn't fitting together right. So I had to rip, rip, and rip and then resew. I did this several times. There are still a couple of mistakes, but I don't think they are noticeable unless you really look.

I love how it looks from the back with the sun shining through! It reminds me of stained glass.
Someone always tries to get in the picture. Every time I go outside to take a picture of a quilt, she sneaks into the bottom of the frame. The wind was lightly blowing and as I walked over to start taking it down, her little head popped out. I had to grab a picture! I am definitely keeping this one. It is my favorite so far. Now I just need to start quilting all these tops I am collecting.

Thank you to all of you who sent my mom bloggy birthday love yesterday! I know that she appreciated all of your wonderful comments on her quilts. Thanks!!!

13 comments:

Grace said...

oh, very nice work. i used to do this , too, but yours is far beautiful than mine... :)

Stephanie D said...

Oh, my goodness, Audrey, that is AMAZING! I can't believe you have pieces less than an inch in size there!

That's either a labor of love or you're nuts! lol

I think you would have made a fine pioneer woman.

em's scrapbag said...

I love this. I am thinking of using the fabric I dyed for one of these. What do you think?

Kathleen said...

Fabulous work and you are one of three quilters on my google reader's featured blogs today!!!

QuiltedSimple said...

This is amazing - you did a fantastic job on this. I love it. can't wait to see it quilted. And your puppy is so cute - such a sweetie - she loves to be photographed at least!
Kris

Rebecca said...

omg, 2,052 squares? that's amazing... you ought to change your blog's title to audreyamazing!

Karen said...

I always hold my finished quilts up to the light, too :)

Unknown said...

AMAZING! Can't wait to see it quilted :)

Amy K. said...

I may possibly die of jealousy. Didd you use the fusible stuff for this one? I forget what its called. Im stupid tonight. Im STILL collecting for my postage stamp quilt. I may finish it by the time Im 100. Great work!

jacquie said...

wowsers!!!! beautiful job.

Betsy said...

lovely. can you post the instructions for this?

Anonymous said...

O.M.G. you are INSANE! That's a lot of squares...

This sucker belongs on a wall, that's impressive!

Michelle said...

Wow! I just stumbled across this while looking for scrappy disappearing nine patch pictures. Makes my five inch squares look absolutely huge.