Friday, July 1, 2011

Fancy Block #1-Gnome and Mushroom

I attended a quilt retreat in Ft. Collins back in April taught by Penny of sewtakeahike on paper piecing.  I left confident that I would be able to conquer paper piecing (which is due to Penny's awesome teaching), but then I didn't really practice my skills and started forgetting what I had learned, which is never good!  Amanda and Melinda came up with the idea of making a fancy block each week to practice the skills we learned over the weekend.  They have been showcasing their beautiful blocks over the past two weeks, but I had not had the chance to make one yet.  This week I was determined that I would be able to play along, so I made this gnome and mushroom block!



The pattern is a free one from Sonja at Artisiana; isn't it so cute?  If you aren't familiar with her patterns, you should definitely stop by and check her out. She has such cute ones! It took me a little while to get back into the swing of thinking the way paper piecing goes together, and I did pull out my seam ripper several times to fix a piece sewn on backwards.  Overall, I like my little gnome, and now I need to decide what to do with him.  Pillow?  Mugrug?  Placemat?  Hmmm.....
Go check out Amanda's block at crazymomquilts and Melinda's at quirkygranolagirl!

I made this yesterday, and it is so good!  I have never used Mt. Dew in a recipe before now, and I would never have thought of that!

4 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

this block is so cute, Audrey! i'm glad to see you playing along with us! :) suddenly i feel the need to make some gnomes!

Melissa said...

I use Mtn Dew in my pound cake recipe. TOTALLY rocks the flavor.
Cute gnome and mushroom, by the way. :)

sewtakeahike said...

It's just beautiful, Audrey!! I love your fabric choices too :) I'm so glad you're using those skills you learned at the workshop!

Carmen said...

Love it! Be sure to let us know what you decide to do with him. :)